home depot center seating chart Shnoodle & Sweet Connie's Economic Stimulus Road Trip!

Friday, February 20, 2009


home depot center seating chart Last November, Connie told me that Christopher Moore was going to be doing a book signing at Powell's in February, and did I want to go? Did I!? At the time I said we should make a stop at Fabric Depot too, since it was in the area. And that was the humble beginning of Shnoodle & Sweet Connie's Economic Stimulus Road Trip! (Disclaimer: all photos were taken while I was showing Patrick my purchases, so yeah, that's his lap/arms under the pillow!)


Our first stop was Quilter's Junction in Centralia. Even though their shop is small, they make good use of their space. There were bolts of fabric stuffed in an antique sink, fat quarters and buttons peeking out of the open drawers of antique furniture, and a really nice selection that ranged from Civil War prints to my own Dear Jane colors!

From there we headed to Evie's Yarn Emporium in Longview. They were in the middle of moving their store to a larger spot across the street...while we were there. I question the wisdom of staying open while attempting this move, it was a little off-putting from the customer standpoint. I have no doubt it will be a lovely yarn shop when they are done with it - lots of comfy seating in the back to sit and stitch - but we left pretty quickly.

From there it was on to Powell's itself. We had discovered that the book signing was actually at the store in Beaverton later that night, but who can go to Portland without a stop at the City of Books? After a comical parking mini-adventure (a sub-adventure, if you will), we had some lunch in the Coffee Room and went to town!


We both naturally gravitated to the crafts section, then spent at least an hour dominating the aisle. Well, quilting and knitting were on opposite sides of the same aisle - what would you expect? Ever since Calamity Kim made this post, I have been toying with the idea of lace (I know, I need another hobby like I need a hole in the head). I picked up the Cathedral Windows book for a similar reason - Quilting Fiesta posted a two-part tutorial on her blog, and I thought, "hmm, that's something I don't know how to do yet..."


The rest of these were just books I'd been looking forward to reading at reasonable prices. I am a huge Douglas Coupland fan, from his early Shampoo Planet days, so the Gum Thief is just one more in my collection. Patrick and I both really liked Jasper Fforde's Nursery Crimes books, so I picked up the three Thursday Next books. The Wonder Woman notecards jumped into my basket and begged to come home with me. Nothing could be done about it!


I had done a pretty sick amount of research before heading out on this epic shopping adventure, and found the Yarn Garden on the other side of the river. It's huge, they have a gorgeous selection, and they are just about the nicest people we met. Connie is working on that massive Ravelry hit, the Sylvi sweater, so she had a nice chat with a shopkeeper who was also working on it. As a new knitter I tend to follow Connie around in yarn stores, touching particularly soft yarn when asked to, and generally being overwhelmed by the amount of choices available. But the above skeins caught my eye and I needed to find a pattern to go with it. This cute little bag pattern should be really pretty in these yarns.


After Yarn Garden we worked our way north to Fabric Depot. It's a little bit of a slog, but it was worth it! I haven't been doing much stash-building these days, so I try and stick to purchasing for a project. The dark red at the bottom is a flannel I'm going to use for the backing of the February quilt. The green batik is for an upcoming Bonnie Hunter class I'm taking (yeah!), and the rest of it is all quarter yard cuts for my Dear Jane. Except those 3 yards of beautiful script...I have a secret plan for those. Also, I picked up some silk threads from YLI to see what all the fuss was about. I'll use them for applique in the DJ.


Christopher Moore is a very funny guy, which is nice because he lives up to his written self. He entertained the audience for a good 20 minutes, answered questions, and gave out some hats. I'm excited to read this, but I'm trying to finish the book I'm on first (Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer).

home depot center, the home depot, home depot locations, homedepot, home depot

0 comments:

About This Blog

About This Blog

PodNova

  © World talk Columnus by http://mind2009.blogspot.com/ 2008

Back to TOP